Monday, November 1, 2010

Something Unexpected about Joseph Cornell

This weekend I was thinking about all the beautiful things that have inspired me in my past and in particular thought about the Philadelphia Art Museum which is hands down one of the most fantastic places on earth.

I also was looking around and realized that I have a real love for antique boxes and instantly I remembered Joseph Cornell's work at the museum.  My favorite and I could not believe I almost forgot.

One thing always came to mind when looking at his work, incredible imagination.  He had the amazing ability to create a beautifully abstract world inside a box.  A world that I wanted to live in and think in.

Here are a few of my favorites that I have seen in person.

What about you think?











14 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Incredible imagination and amazing eye for details:) Totally love those pieces! Wish you a lovely Monday,sweetie

Amelia said...

you are so lucky to have seen his work in person. I absolutely love it! It's some-one we look at on the experimental art e-course :)

Amelia.x

Grace Hitchcock said...

i love the simplicty of the 2nd and 6th box!

grace from thewhati.tumblr.com

Grace said...

The hotel one is perfect.

Love Grace.

Signe said...

These are amazing, I especially love the last one :)

Catita said...

inspirational indeed! I love the first one, I think its the colors...reminds me an old country house in Florida...weird! As I've only been there once in my life.
xoxo
Catita

Kristina said...

What an inspirational artist! I love the ones with birds (of course) and the last one stands out as it's so simple and yet lends your imagination. Love it. K

Julie said...

SO creative and beautiful.

Bella @Bellgetsreal said...

Love the last one.... so inspirational.

PS having a giveaway that you might like, come on by.
http://bellagetsreal.blogspot.com/2010/11/csn-giveaway.html

My name is Renée. said...

I like them all! The first and the fifth are my favorites.

Sanny said...

Aren't these all just amazing?! So talented! Everything is so inspirational! I adore the 4th one the most!

Have another awesome day! (:

Sanny's Head to Heart

Leah said...

These are amazing!!!!

Luvs!

jamie-lee said...

Wow, they're incredible, so creative! x

http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com

Krystal said...

Those are SO cool - I have never heard of them before! I used to make box scenes when I was little. SIGH..I should have kept with that line of work :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails